Homeowners often dream of living in an energy efficient home, however many of them aren’t sure what they need to do to make this dream a reality. Before you can dive into making energy efficient upgrades, you need to conduct an energy audit to learn more about how energy is consumed in your home. The results of this audit can help you identify opportunities to save energy and achieve your goal of living in an energy efficient home.
But how much does an energy audit cost? Here’s what you should know:
How Much Does A Professional Energy Audit Cost?
The price can vary depending on where you live and the services performed during the audit. The cost of a simple audit that only includes an inspection will typically fall on the lower end of this range. But the price will increase if the audit includes diagnostic tests in addition to an inspection.
What Does A Home Energy Audit Consist Of?
If you choose to hire a professional to conduct a home energy audit, here’s what you should expect:
- The auditor may begin by answering your questions and discussing your lifestyle and energy needs with you.
- Then, the auditor may review your most recent utility bills to see how much you are spending on energy every month.
- The next step is the inspection. The auditor may inspect the exterior, interior, roof, air conditioner, and other areas of your home to look for potential issues.
- The auditor may or may not perform diagnostic tests depending on the extent of the energy assessment. Diagnostic tests may include thermographic scans, blower door tests, and moisture detection tests.
- The auditor will provide you with a list of custom energy efficient recommendations based on the results of your audit. Making the suggested changes or upgrades will help you improve the energy efficiency of your home.
A professional energy audit could take anywhere from two to five hours to complete depending on the services performed.
Can You Get A Free Energy Audit?
You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars in order to experience the benefits of an energy audit. You can conduct a free energy audit using the HomeSelfe app. Here’s how it works:
- Download the app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Answer the questions on your screen. The app will ask you simple questions about how you use energy at home. For example, you may need to answer questions about the temperature setting on your thermostat or the age of your refrigerator.
- Review the list of recommendations. The app will create a custom list of energy efficient recommendations for your home based on your answers to the questions. Next to each recommendation, the app will tell you how much you save by making the suggested change or upgrade.
- Look for rebates. HomeSelfe will tell you if you qualify for rebates in your area. Take advantage of these rebates to potentially save hundreds of dollars.
That’s all it takes to conduct a free home energy audit using the HomeSelfe app. The entire process takes as little as five minutes.
What Are the Benefits of Doing An Energy Audit?
There are countless reasons why you should consider performing a home energy audit. Some of the many benefits of an energy audit include:
- Save energy. A home energy audit can identify changes and upgrades you can make to drastically reduce your energy consumption at home.
- Protect the planet. Saving energy at home will reduce your carbon footprint.
- Lower your monthly utility bills. Utility companies only charge you for the energy you consume each month. As a result, reducing your energy consumption can drastically lower your monthly utility bills.
- Increase your home’s resale value. Studies have shown that energy efficient homes typically sell for more than other comparable homes.
- Properly maintain your appliances. The results of an energy audit could teach you what steps to take to keep your appliances in good condition. Following these tips may extend the lifespan of your appliances.
- Improve your comfort level. Fixing issues identified in an energy audit such as air leaks and mold growth could create a more comfortable living environment for your family at home.
- Discover issues in your home. An energy audit could identify issues in your home that you were unaware of and give you an opportunity to address these issues before they turn into major problems.
Are Energy Audits Worth It?
There’s no doubt that conducting an energy audit is worth it. Because it is possible to perform a free energy audit, you can enjoy all of the benefits of completing an energy audit without spending a dime. Don’t wait any longer to start your audit so you can move one step closer to reaching your goal of improving your home’s energy efficiency.