According to the Department of Energy, heat loss and gain through windows accounts for between 25-30% of your home’s heating and cooling costs. The best way to prevent this problem is to install energy-efficient windows. These will insulate your home, keeping heat inside during the winter and outside during the summer.
But how much will this energy-efficient upgrade cost? Energy-efficient windows cost between $120 to $1,200 or more, depending on several factors, including the size and efficiency. Here’s what you need to know to determine if you should make this investment:
What Are the Benefits of Installing Energy Efficient Windows?
Before learning about the costs of energy-efficient windows, it’s important to understand how making this upgrade can benefit you.
As previously mentioned, installing energy-efficient windows can prevent heat loss and gain. How does this benefit you? Preventing heat loss and gain will make it easier for your heating and cooling system to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home. Your heating and cooling system will not need to consume as much energy, which will result in a lower monthly utility bill.
Energy-efficient windows will make your home more comfortable, too. The temperature inside your home will be consistent, lowering worry about cold drafts or rooms heating up too fast. In fact, if you install energy-efficient windows, you won’t break a sweat if you choose to sit by a sunny window.
Energy-efficient windows are also better at blocking out noise than standard windows. If you live in a noisy area, making this upgrade can help you finally get the peace and quiet you deserve at home.
Installing energy-efficient windows can increase the value of your home as well. Experts estimate that homeowners can recoup about 70% of their initial investment when they decide to sell their home.
How Much Does It Cost to Install Energy Efficient Windows?
Many people hire professionals to install their new energy-efficient windows. If you choose to hire a professional, this will increase the cost of making this energy-efficient upgrade to your home.
The cost of labor will vary depending on the number of windows. The average costs of installation are:
- Less than 5 windows: $2,200
- Between 5 to 10 windows: $4,900
- More than 10: $14,500
Other factors that impact the cost of installation are your location, how easy it is to access the windows, and whether or not custom work is required.
How Much Will Energy Efficient Windows Save You?
There’s no doubt that upgrading to energy-efficient windows is expensive. But is it worth the investment?
Replacing old windows with energy-efficient windows can reduce the average household’s energy bills by 12%. The average household spends approximately $2,060 on energy per year, which means installing these windows could save around $247 every year.
Installing energy-efficient windows does require an upfront investment, but over time, these windows will pay for themselves.
How Can You Reduce the Cost of Energy Efficient Window Installation?
There are a number of steps you can take to reduce the cost of upgrading to energy-efficient windows. Follow these tips:
- Install the windows yourself. This project can easily be completed without a professional’s help. Just make sure you choose the right windows and follow the installation instructions closely. Doing it on your own can drastically reduce the total cost of this upgrade.
- Look for rebates. Many utility providers, government agencies, and manufacturers offer rebates for the purchase or installation of energy-efficient windows.
- Take advantage of tax credits. Taxpayers who purchase energy-efficient windows may qualify for a federal tax credit of up to $500. Applying this toward the money you spent on the windows will reduce the total cost of the project.
- Make your existing windows more energy efficient instead of replacing them with energy-efficient windows. You can improve the energy efficiency of your existing windows by caulking to seal air leaks. In addition, you can add window treatments and apply an energy-efficient film to the window panes. This is a great way to go green on a budget.
Following these tips can make the upgrade to energy-efficient windows more affordable for everyone.
Improve the Energy Efficiency of Your Home
Installing energy-efficient windows is a great way to drastically improve the energy efficiency of your home. Making this upgrade will reduce your carbon footprint, save you money, and make life at home more comfortable. By investing in energy-efficient windows, you can take the first step towards living a greener lifestyle!