Choosing the right color scheme for the exterior of your home is important. The right color scheme can improve your curb appeal, make a good first impression on guests, and set the tone for the rest of your home’s look and feel. But the wrong color scheme can affect your home’s resale value and make it stick out like a sore thumb in your neighborhood. If you’re preparing to paint your home’s exterior, here’s what you need to know about house color schemes:
How Many Colors Should A House Exterior Have?
One of the reasons why choosing a color scheme for the exterior of your home is so difficult is that it involves picking out more than one color. The general rule of thumb is that a home’s exterior color scheme should consist of three colors.
The first color should be used on “the field,” which refers to large areas such as the exterior walls of your home. The field color will cover the most space, which means it will be the most prominent hue in the color scheme.
The second color should be used to paint the trim, which includes all vertical and horizontal elements on the exterior of your home. The trim color will cover the window frames, exterior doors, gutters, and downspouts.
Finally, there is the accent color. Use this color to highlight certain features on your home’s exterior, including the front door, shutters, and other decorative elements.
Sometimes, the three colors are distinctly different. But in other cases, the color scheme may consist of three different shades of the same color.
What Are the Most Popular Exterior House Colors?
Get inspired by these popular home exterior color schemes:
- Ivory, white, and aqua
- Black, white, and red
- Gray, white, and dove
- Yellow, white, and black
- Yellow, white, and red
- White, gray, and navy blue
- White, gray, and green
- Olive green, tan, and white
- Taupe, brown, and red
- Red, cream, and coffee
- Gray, red, and black
- Navy, white, and turquoise
Don’t be afraid to go online and search for images of homes with these color schemes. This will help you visualize each of these color schemes so you can decide which one is right for your home.
What Exterior Colors Make Your House Look Bigger?
The colors you choose for your exterior could make your home appear smaller or larger. If you want to make your home appear larger than its actual size, it’s best to stick with a light color scheme. Light colors will make the home appear brighter, larger, and more inviting.
How Do I Choose A Color Scheme For My House?
Picking the right color scheme for your home’s exterior is not easy. Don’t simply pick three complementary colors at random. Instead, follow these tips to find the perfect color scheme for your home:
- Work with your home’s existing design elements. For example, say your home has red clay roofing tiles. You can’t change your roofing tiles, so it’s best to choose a color scheme that complements this distinct feature.
- Exterior paint trends tend to stick around for a long time. If you aren’t sure which color scheme to choose, it’s best to go with what’s popular right now. The exterior color scheme that’s in style right now will most likely still be trendy 10 years from now.
- Consider your neighborhood. Don’t choose a color scheme that will clash with your neighbors’ exteriors.
- Refer to the color wheel. If you want a monochromatic look, choose three shades of the same color that are next to each other on the color wheel. Otherwise, choose colors that complement one another, which means they are on opposite sides of the color wheel.
- Your home’s exterior color scheme should complement its architectural style. If you live in a Cape Cod-style home, choose a color scheme with grays, blues, and whites. But if you live in a Victorian-style home, you should choose a soft pastel color scheme instead.
- Buy test sizes of each paint color first. Before you paint your entire house, test the colors out by painting a small section of your home’s exterior. This will give you an opportunity to see what the colors look like once they’re actually applied to your home’s exterior. Plus, you will be able to see how the colors look at different times of the day. This is important since certain colors can look drastically different in sunlight and in shade.
Now you know how to choose a color scheme that will increase your home’s resale value, improve its curb appeal, and showcase your unique style.