About 90% of people in the U.S have been ordered to stay at home due to the coronavirus pandemic. As a result, people are spending more time at home than ever before, and this trend will most likely continue through the summer. Even after the stay-at-home orders have been lifted, many people may choose to spend more time at home in order to avoid exposure to the coronavirus.
Because of this, there is no better time to make your home as comfortable and entertaining as possible. Don’t spend the rest of your summer cooped up indoors—transform your backyard into a functional, enjoyable space. Here’s how to create an outdoor entertainment area in your backyard:
Outdoor Entertainment Ideas: What Should I Put In My Backyard?
There are countless ways to transform your backyard into the outdoor entertainment space of your dreams. Here are some of the things you could put in your backyard to make your dream a reality:
- Outdoor Kitchen: If you plan on hosting parties in your new backyard, an outdoor kitchen is an absolute must. Adding an outdoor kitchen to your backyard will allow you to serve your friends and family drinks and food without ever stepping foot in the house.
- Hammock: Laying in a hammock is the perfect way to spend a lazy summer afternoon, so find a shady spot in your backyard for this must-have item.
- Fire Pit: Place a fire pit in the center of comfortable outdoor furniture to create the perfect gathering spot for friends and family.
- Projector Screen: Create your own at-home movie theater in your backyard with an outdoor projector screen.
- Lighting: You can’t host parties in your backyard in the dark, so make sure to include outdoor lighting in your design plans.
- Water Fountain: Adding an elegant water fountain to your backyard will instantly make your outdoor entertainment space more serene and peaceful.
These are some of the many design elements that you can include in your outdoor entertainment space plans.
What Should I Put In An Outdoor Kitchen?
You don’t have to replicate your indoor kitchen outside in order to enjoy the perks of having an outdoor kitchen. In fact, it’s best to keep the design fairly simple so you don’t take up too much of your outdoor space. If you want to build an outdoor kitchen, here are some of the features you should include:
- Refrigerator: It doesn’t have to be a full-size refrigerator—even a mini refrigerator will do.
- Ice Maker: If you don’t plan on including a freezer in your outdoor kitchen, add a small ice maker instead so you can still serve chilled drinks to your guests.
- Grill: Nothing says summer like an outdoor barbecue, so having a grill in your outdoor kitchen is a must.
- Storage/Counter Space: Having plenty of storage and counter space in your outdoor kitchen will make prepping food and serving guests less of a hassle.
- Sink: Leave room for a small sink to make cleaning up after an outdoor party easier.
- Pizza Oven: If you have enough space, consider adding fun features that your family will love, such as a pizza oven. This is a great way to customize your outdoor kitchen to fit your family’s needs.
If you’re on a tight budget, start small by adding one or two appliances. Remember, you can always purchase additional appliances later, so there’s no need to break the bank now. However, you should plan on installing the appropriate gas, water, or electric lines now so you can easily add more appliances to your kitchen in the future.
How Can I Protect Outdoor Furniture From Rain?
No backyard entertainment area is complete without outdoor furniture. But if you’re going to invest in outdoor furniture, it’s important to know how to protect it from harsh environmental elements, especially rain.
It’s best to protect your outdoor furniture with canvas, polyester, or vinyl furniture covers. Use these covers whenever your furniture is not in use—especially if there is rain in the forecast. These covers are designed to keep moisture out and protect wood, plastic, or metal furniture from water damage. By using these covers, you can extend the lifespan of your outdoor furniture.
Make sure you don’t put the covers on if the furniture is already damp. Doing this will trap moisture, which will damage the furniture.
Create An Outdoor Oasis For Your Friends And Family
Building an outdoor entertainment area can increase the value of your home, improve your home’s appearance, and create the perfect space to entertain family and friends. By following these tips, you can create a tranquil outdoor oasis that you can enjoy long after the stay-at-home orders have been lifted.