Homeowners often think that selling a home is as easy as sticking a “For Sale” sign in the front yard, but that’s not the case. If you want to sell for a fair price, a lot of work needs to be done before your home is even listed on the market. Prepare your home by completing the items on this selling your house checklist:
What Needs to Be Fixed Before Selling A Home?
Buyers that are interested in your home will have it inspected before closing, and the inspector will notify the buyers of issues that need to be fixed. The buyers may choose to back out of the deal or ask for credits after learning that repairs are needed.
To avoid this problem—and maximize your profits—it’s best to make necessary repairs prior to putting your home on the market. Here are some of the improvements that need to be made before selling your home:
- Repair leaky faucets
- Fix broken appliances
- Patch holes or cracks in the walls
- Replace broken knobs and handles
- Tighten loose hinges
- Unclog drains
It’s best to test certain devices and systems in your home to ensure they are in good working order. If a problem arises during the test, make the necessary repairs before putting your home on the market. Here’s what you need to test:
- Water heater
- Smoke detectors
- Garage door
- Kitchen appliances
- Heating and cooling system
Making these repairs now will save you a lot of time, money, and frustration once your home is on the market.
How Do I Make My Home Look Good to Sell?
Making repairs around your home is important, but so is making your home look good. After all, the key to selling your home is appealing to buyers, and buyers aren’t interested in looking at unattractive homes.
There are probably dozens of things you could do to make your home look good, but you don’t need to do all of them before selling. Focus on making the upgrades and improvements that buyers will notice and care about. Here’s what to do to improve the appearance of your home:
- Add fresh sod and bright-colored flowers to your front lawn.
- Purchase a new welcome mat.
- Wash the front porch, driveway, and siding.
- Get rid of clutter.
- Steam clean carpets.
- Paint over bold colors with soft, neutral colors.
- Organize your closets.
- Wash all of the windows and glass surfaces.
- Put away personal items such as photos, refrigerator magnets, toiletries, and children’s toys.
- Put new light bulbs in every light fixture.
- Use potted plants and bouquets of flowers to brighten up the inside of your home.
If you’re not sure what needs to be done in your home, stand in the doorway of each room and imagine that you are a buyer who is touring the home for the first time. This will help you determine what changes need to be made in order to make your home look as good as possible for potential buyers.
What Sells A House Quickly?
It takes about 68 days to sell a home in the U.S. But, the time that it takes to sell a home will depend on a number of factors, including the location and market conditions. For example, it takes an average of 161 days to sell a home in Utica, New York, but the average in Denver, Colorado is only 42 days.
If you want to speed up the process, here are a few things you can do to ensure your home sells as quickly as possible:
- Work with an experienced Realtor®.
- Sell at the right time.
- List your home at the right price.
- Invest in staging.
- Promote your listing to friends, family members, and colleagues.
- Allow your Realtor® to host open houses on a regular basis.
- Be flexible when it comes to showing your home to buyers.
- Keep your home neat and tidy.
The perceived value of your home may start to decline if it sits on the market for too long. For this reason, it’s important to follow these tips so you can quickly find the perfect buyer for your home.
Sell Your Market-Ready Home After Completing This Checklist
Now, your home is ready to be listed on the real estate market. Each item on this checklist will make your home more attractive to buyers, so you may get an offer fairly quickly if you’ve completed the entire list. Start packing now so you’re ready to close as soon as the right offer comes along!